Friday, February 3, 2012

Beatitudes by Heart


I have always been able to memorize things easily.

Back in my preschool days I had the privilege of playing the Shoemaker's wife in the ever popular, The Elves and the Shoemaker.  I remember vividly driving in the car with my parents one day.  They recited the lines to me and I recited them back.

"Shoemaker, Shoemaker what shall we do?  We have nothing to eat but a breadcrumb or two?  The pantry is empty and so is our purse.  Oh, what shall we do?  Oh what could be worse?!"

Seriously, I still remember.

The Bug seems to have inherited my knack for memorizing.   She knows her right from her left and I really think it is because she memorized which shoe goes where.

We started memorizing a couple scripture verses a number of months ago.  Recently, we added two to her repertoire.

It's amazing.  The practice is filling both of us.  As a child I never memorized verses from the Bible but I think it is a very important discipline.

I have been recently challenging myself to do the same thing.

I came across an opportunity today.  I LOVE this blog. A Holy Experience.  Every time I read it I feel ministered to.

She is challenging people to memorize the Beatitudes.


So this is our goal...Beatitudes by Easter.  (Now that I've put it out for the world to see I feel like I have to do it.)


In a world where we learn a song on the radio after hearing it once and can recite scenes from favorite movies or sitcoms it only seems appropriate to apply these abilities to the one thing that will give life and continue to grow life within us.  But, the honest truth is that it is hard.  It is hard to stay the course.  It is hard to keep to it.  For some reason memorizing scripture can often be frustrating, hard work.  Why?

I think it's because it is so powerful.  God's Word is alive and active...dangerous stuff.  It's not meant for the lazy bones.

So here's to digging in and getting dirty.  Sweating.  Building muscle.

If I can master the Pilates Teaser...I can memorize the Beatitudes.  Who's with me?

1 comment:

  1. Haha me:) im gonna challange myself :)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis