Monday, March 11, 2013

Seeds

Time to prepare the ground for something new.


I have this empty patch of dirt in my front yard.  Last year I planted some flowers there.  They were the kind that eventually die as the seasons change.  In Southern California that takes a while but, alas, they are gone, and the soil is ready for something new.

I feel like that is happening inside of me.

I am ready for something new.  The kiddos turn four and two as soon as strawberries are ready to be picked.  I remember craving fresh strawberries while waiting to birth them and bring them into this world.  I sent the fly to the local strawberry farm over and over again.  They were as sweet as candy.  I won’t ever forget.

My little Strawberry Shortcake at her 3rd Birthday Party
Little Man at his 1st Birthday...look at all that hair...He doesn't look like this anymore.  Tear.


And, as it was with my real-life babies, I feel like this strawberry season is bringing...perhaps, birthing...a new season for me.  New adventures with my family and new opportunities to tell them and the world about my greatest love...Jesus.

Waiting for The Bug.  (Picture take by April at April Smith Photography)

Waiting for the Little Man.  (Picture taken by April at April Smith Photography)




I’m certain I would not be able to if I were still a captive of fear.  I feel like it was a slow deliverance of so many things and so many years.  But, for the past few weeks I feel like I have been thinking new thoughts about the things that once held such a tight grip.  I feel free.

It didn’t come easy.  Most great liberations take much effort, sacrifice...travail...to bring forth a change.  It’s true when they say, people don’t change.  What they forget to say after that, however, is that people can be transformed.

And, there is only One who can transform a heart.  There is only One who can remove a root of fear, bitterness, rejection and in its place plant seeds of trust, hope, and restoration.

God is in the business of planting seeds.  When a seed is placed in the ground it has an opportunity to become rooted and spring up.  It transforms from a hard shell to a vibrant life.

But, for a seed to grow it has to fall on good soil. 

Jesus tells a parable about seeds.  They fall on a path; the birds snatch them up.  They fall on rocky soil; they take root but not deep enough.  They are scorched by the sun.  They fall among thorns; they are choked out.  They fall on good soil; they take root...deep...and produce a crop.

Unlike most parables, He explains this one. 

The birds are the evil one who snatches away the message sown in their hearts from those who hear it and don’t understand it.

The rocky soil is one who hears and receives with great joy but the root does not go down deep and when trouble, temptation or persecution come they quickly forget.

The seed falling among the thorns is the one who hears it but worries, “deceitfulness of wealth,” pursuit of the pleasures of this life, choke it out.  It is unfruitful.

The good soil produces a crop.  It is the one who hears and understands.  A greater crop is produced...even more than what was sown.

I chewed on this parable all day.  I thought about people.  I thought about my family.  I thought about my children.  I thought about myself.

I want us all to be that good soil.  I want to see fruitfulness, joy, abundance and great things to come out of the lives of those I care so much about.

But I can’t change people.  Only God can transform a heart. 

Only God can take a captive of fear and transform her heart and mind to walk in courage.

So I prayed.  I wrestled with God all day.  Can the soil change? 

Then God did what only He can do.

We went to Saturday night church service...after a long day of discipline with the Bug...we almost didn’t go. 

I sat in my seat and asked God to help me hear a word for my own heart...I am so very good at listening for everyone but myself...I’m sure I’m the only one who struggles with that.  Smile.

Sitting in my chair, hoping for words to sink from my ears, to my mind, to my heart, He reminded me.

God reminded me that He will never stop pursuing us.  He is madly in love with each of us and “desires everyone to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.” (1 Timothy 2:4)

It didn’t stop there.

“Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him [Jesus], since He [Jesus] always lives to make intercession for them.”  (Hebrews 7:25)

Intercession.  So much of my heart aches for people to know the gift it is to be interceded for and to intercede for others.

“I urge then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession, and thanksgiving be made for all people...” (2 Timothy 2:1)

Interceding is simply acting on another’s behalf.  To intervene.  Four friends intercede by their actions when they lower their paralyzed friend through the roof so Jesus can heal Him.

I have been lowered in front of Jesus by others.  I think that is why I get so high-pitched, squeaky and teary-eyed when the topic comes around.

As I battled the grip fear had on me many people came alongside me on that journey.  People prayed for me, people helped me, people were courageous for me.  And, finally people asked God to break the chain that bound me, and He did.

Can I say something to you today, friend?

I don’t just write these things because I think I know what everyone else needs.  I write these things because I needed this knowledge and will continue to need it until Glory comes.

I was stolen from.  The birds of the air, the evil one, stole God’s Word before it took any root.

I was rocky.  The temptations and tribulations caused me to forget.

I was choked by the thorns.  I wanted the pleasures this life had to offer more than I wanted Jesus.

The truth is this still happens.  Thankfully, less than before, because God is in the process of transforming my heart.  Because I can say, He has done great things for me, I can walk in victory and not chained to what stole, tempted and choked.

And, with tears, I cry out, wanting this for everyone...the people I love...and even the people I don’t know.

So, what do I do?  I sow seeds.

“Those who sow with tears
    will reap with songs of joy.
Those who go out weeping,
    carrying seed to sow,
will return with songs of joy,
    carrying sheaves with them.”  Psalm 126:5-6


God is in the seed business.  He plants things.  And, perhaps, today you read this and wonder what has been planted in you...and whether it is being impeded by the birds, rocks and thorns.

A word for you today, “He’s not done with you.”  A word for me today, “He’s not done with me.”  He is ready to do something new.

Hallelujah.

He is chasing your heart, friend.  Stop running.  Be still and let His Word be planted.  Ask someone to intercede for you...so you may break free of the cycle and chains of birds, rocks and thorns.  May you be transformed by the renewing of your mind.

And,  as the sun breaks through the clouds and the seedlings spring up, as the season turns, may we hear and understand.  May the knowledge of the LORD take our roots down deep.  May we then produce a crop immeasurably more than we could ever imagine.

The strawberries are almost ready.  The crop is yielding fruit. 

May this new season upon me do the same in me and through me.

I look forward to sharing it with you.

One more from waiting for Little Man.  I love how the Bug is holding her belly like mommy.

6 comments:

  1. As always, very well written and obviously straight from the heart...He is pleased. Thank you for sharing your gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, thank YOU for reading my words. It means a great deal to my heart.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful words sewn into beautiful thoughts weaves into a beautiful blog. I pray for you my friend as you venture into this new season. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your words and your prayers, Steve. Thank you for reading.

      Delete
  3. Praising God for you, my dear friend and prayer partner in what seems like a lifetime ago. Thousands of miles away, with a dozen countries in between, your words touched something deep within me. Thank you for the reminder....oh, the things that I know, but I don't *know*.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prayer Partner...it seems like it was 100 years ago and yesterday all at the same time. Thank you for your encouraging words. I love reading yours as well. Praying for you today.

      Delete

ShareThis