Tuesday, August 23, 2011

6 years and Counting


August 21, 2005...best day ever.


6 years ago we were wrapping up tiny details, welcoming family and friends from out of town, and eating A LOT of good food. I found myself looking for any opportunity to wear white. I was slightly obsessed with feeling bridal as any bride has the right to be. Looking back at that season of life makes me feel all warm inside...the same way I feel when I first smell Christmas coming...yes, for those of you that didn't know, you CAN smell Christmas coming.  (I will post about that later!)

Here's a little picture walk down memory lane.

The Engagement...March 11, 2005 It was our 4 year dating anniversary. Earlier that week I was really mad because I didn't think Fly was ever going to pop the question.  I remember complaining to my friends and sister that entire week, saying things like, if he doesn't want to marry me, then FINE! I'm DONE waiting!!  It's a good thing I have good friends and it is just like Fly to push to the last second:)...but looking back, the timing was perfect.  I wouldn't want it any different.



Surprise! He invited 150 of our closest friends and family to a surprise Engagement Party. He is up on a balcony serenading me.
Seriously could not stop crying...I was so surprised.
Just wanted to reiterate the fact that I was a blubbering mess. Here we were watching a slideshow of pics of us together. (That's my mama holding my hand...She is a lovely lady!)
Me and my daddy...He's the best daddy in the whole world.
Tim with the band. He sang our Jams to me.
On our first "date" we had cup o' noodles and green tea. He saved the green tea box...for four years.
The ring!
I said yes...Well, I actually said "Heck ya!" (Some of our students were there so I had to say 'heck')
Me and my sister...she cried almost as much as I did...Us Dugan's can be slightly emotional.
The Schrader's and the Dugans (this was before in-laws were in the picture...literally:))
My bridesmaids gave me this the night before our wedding. If you look close you can see that the D is backwards. That is why it is my favorite.
This is the "I'm getting married tomorrow!" face
Love this pic in the elevator...especially my sis Lyndsey's face...pretty much captured the day.
Boys doing what boys like to do.


We got married at the Hyatt in Huntington Beach.  I came across the bridge and around and up the aisle.  I wanted to get as much mileage out of my dress as possible.
You may kiss the bride!



The wedding party...they were quite the party.





Some reception shots...

All the single ladies
Our very own choreographed surprise number...It was like NSYNC was actually there.

He was nice...He knew what was good for him.


His tux was rented so I didn't have to be as nice.




Daddy/Daughter Dance...Lyndsey sang "Come to Me" by Celine Dion...sweet moment...




Watching the sun dip into the waves...it was breathtaking...I love this man.




Over the last 6 years we have done different things to celebrate on our anniversary.  This year may not have been as "romantic" as some of our past celebrations but it was perfect in a "I love doing real life with you" sort of way.  We did go to a yummy dinner on Friday night and I got an AWESOME present that I was not expecting but my favorite part of our weekend was on Sunday.  The Bug was with her Grandparents and The Fly and I (and the Little Man...since he would starve without me), sat together by the pool.  We talked.  We talked about things that were going on in our lives.  We talked about things that we were excited about.  We talked about things that frustrate us.  We talked about our beautiful children.  We talked about us.  

I went to bed that night thanking God for the man laying next to me.   I am so thankful for my "Fly"  and for how he shows his love for me by his actions daily.  He is a wonderful father and a husband who truly loves me more than he loves himself.  

When I reflect on what I have learned most about during these 6 years of marriage this is what comes to mind:

Marriage is hard.   It's not just hard for the obvious reasons, but it is hard because we are called to love the other person the way Christ loves His Church...in a way that is completely selfless.  Us completely imperfect humans struggle with this daily.  However, there are those moments, those moments when heaven meets earth. For me this happens when he stays up with the baby so I can go to sleep even when he has to leave the house at 5am and work all day, or, when he washes my car every Saturday without complaint.  It happens when he always lets me pick the place to eat out and eats there even if it's Mexican food...AGAIN.  It happens when he comes home from work and sees how ragged I am and takes the next round of diaper changes, potty trips, bath times and sink full of dishes.  When I was crazy busy working at the church it happened all the time in filling every need that I could not get others to do...like clean up...the poor guy...always on clean up duty:).

I love my man.  I hope that I too show him love in selfless ways.  We are both not even close to perfect but I have learned when I spend my time remembering his rights instead of his wrongs...I am a better person...it's easier for me to find the beauty in our big beautiful mess.

I love you Fly.  You are my lobster.  (Don't worry...it's one of those inside jokes...)



3 comments:

  1. "He's your lobster!!". Oh how I miss you guys so much!!! Glad you had a wonderful time, and that you guys we able to take sometime to yourselves.

    Hugs from Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was perfect for today. Thank you for sharing Allison and thank you Tim for being so good to someone we all love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and inspiring Allison. I needed to read this today... :). It is so fun re-living memories from these pictures! Love you.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis