Thursday, December 6, 2012

My Grown Up Christmas List

This is the email I received from my hero, my dad. 

So many prayers have been answered in the last month.  My reaction?  Wanting more.

Instead of recognizing answers and God's outstretched arm and His right hand moving in the dark spots and hopeless places, I sulked in self-pity.  I steeped in loneliness, letting myself be infused with doubt.  My eyes were closed and my ears were deaf.

But as I read, for a second time, "Your prayers are being answered," I confessed in my heart and humbly thanked God for hearing my cry...giving an ear to little ol' me.   I let my heart soak up the joy that He was so longing to fill me with.

Then I stared at the next sentence.

My daddy is the greatest gift giver.  His gifts are thoughtful.  His gifts are sought out.  They are wrapped with pretty bows and love pours out of them as you unwrap them.  It's not because of what it is but because his heart, his love, is obvious in the contents.  


Me and my Daddy...dancing as my sweet sister serenaded us.

For a few days I've struggled with the gift receiving and gift giving questions.  I have battled it all...guilt for wanting things for myself...guilt for not knowing which charity to give to...guilt for being overwhelmed with all the stuff I need to do to point my family toward Christ this Christmas...guilt about whether to buy or not to buy...you get it, guilty.

So, today in a quiet moment, stolen from the to-do list, I sat down with my anxious heart and wrote this:

What do I want for Christmas?

  • I want my family to fall more in love with Jesus, desperately seeking Him for all they need.
  • I want my kids to learn that people are not perfect but are only made perfect through the gift of grace that comes through knowing Jesus as their Savior.
  • I want people, myself included, to humble themselves and learn the power of servant leadership in the community, their homes, their jobs, the Church.
  •  I want to hear God's voice, feel His promptings everyday and I want to want to be obedient.
  • I want to be with people.  I want to eat and laugh and love people. 
  • I want to see my three bestest friends in one place at the same time.
  • I want my marriage to continue to grow and flourish.  I want to love my Fly better.
  • When I buy presents for people this year, I want to buy them things that are meaningful.  I want them to know how they are loved.
  • I want to teach my kids the true meaning of Christmas.  I want them to enjoy receiving gifts without guilt but as they grow I want them to understand the yearning they have for more will never be satisfied in this world.  Only He fills us.  Our souls long for Him, even when we don't realize it.
  • And, completely selfishly, not in the least deserving, I want my Disneyland pass renewed.  I love that place. It makes me happy.

 I'm not sure these things can be packaged...but if there's one guy who is creative enough to try...it's my dad.

His gift-giving gifting points me to my Heavenly Father's Gift Giving...so creative that the spoken Word became flesh and dwelled among us.  He knew exactly what we needed.  He knew it when we couldn't articulate it.  His gift wrapped in the delicate, velvet skin of a newborn.  Oh, to smell the newborn head of God...to place your cheek to His and breathe in.  Life.  Abundant life. Zoe life. Wrapped in clothes.  Lying in a manger.

Yes, the greatest gift has already been given.

May the gifts we give be ones that point people to Him.

Zoie Cheek to Zoe Cheek.


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis