Wednesday, March 6, 2013

All The World's a Stage

Music will always sink straight into my soul.  I don’t know exactly what it is.  Songs have a way of bringing what is going on deep down to the tip, top, front of my thoughts.  The words and melody pour in and as the flood rises I feel things...it resonates...I connect my life and thoughts to the music.


We saw Carrie Underwood in concert on Sunday night.  Hunter Hayes opened.  Those two can sing.  Not only do they sing but they perform.  They put on a show. 

We got to go at the last minute.  A friend had extra tickets she was selling.  I looked at the Fly with puppy-dog, pleading eyes and even after utterly spoiling me earlier in the weekend, he said, “See if you can find a babysitter.” 

I did.  We went.  And it was so good.



Amidst the panting and screaming sixteen year olds and co-eds, the Fly and I and some good friends that do life with us sat in our seats and watched this young 21 year-old invigorate and inspire his audience.

“I want to make you feel wanted.”

What young girl doesn’t want that sung to her?  What “not so young girl” doesn’t want that sung to her?  What “I’m starting to feel old,” girl doesn’t want that sung to her?  And, what “I am old, there is no denying it,” girl doesn’t want that sung to her?

I pictured my high school and young, college self in the crowd that night.  I thought about how those words would make me desperate for somebody to love me.  It was what I was searching for...for so long. 

But it wasn’t my high school self or college self standing there Sunday night drinking in the words of that song.  It was my 31 year-old self, a wife, a mommy, a person who wants to see Jesus in everything...because I need to.  So I heard those words with a very different heart.  I thanked God for my husband and I thanked God. 

The show continued and Carrie took the stage.




Talk about finding a voice.  That girl found hers and let it rip. 

At one point she got on to a small stage, a platform, that was rigged to float out to the center of the stadium.  We were right beneath her when it came to its stopping point.  I waved at her and she waved back...we had a moment!



She floated back to the main stage and went on with the rest of show. 

And, boy, did she own that stage.  From the beginning to end she belted and worked it.  At one point she introduced a couple of songs that she said meant so much to her.  She sang  Temporary Home and Jesus Take the Wheel into How Great thou Art

I had noticed hands in the air all around us as she had been singing since she stepped on stage, but, in the moment she transitioned to How Great thou Art, I saw more hands fly up into the air.  It was hard not to get to your feet or respond somehow.  The lyrics coupled with the power in her voice created an undeniable Holy Moment in my opinion. 

Then something interesting happened.  She couldn’t hit the high notes.  We all know she can...we’ve heard it before...but in that moment her vocal chords had hit their limit and she brought it down to a safer place.  She didn’t let herself crack...She humbly did what she needed to do so the show could go on. 

It was beautiful.  No one cared.  The moment was not about how great she is...it was about how great He is.  With a smile she headed to the back of the stage to be lowered for a costume change.

I said a quick prayer for her.  I don’t know if she was upset about the moment...she handled it so graciously, it did not seem to bother her. 

If it were me I would have been beating myself up...I’m sure of it.  But as I watched her I learned something from her whether she intended to teach or not. 

The show must go on.

I have heard and said these words many times.  It is common vernacular for the theater crowd.  But Sunday night gave me a new freedom to tie to this phrase.

I am human.  Carrie is human.  The things I am able to do I am only able to do because the God who created the universe gave me the ability to do them.  And, as long as I am using those abilities properly to glorify Him he will take what may look like error, failure or mistakes and bring glory to Himself. 

I just need to take the stage He has given me and do what He is asking me to do.

I believe God has given Carrie her gifts and talents.  I believe God has given Carrie a stage and a platform and she is using it well.  She even used it that night to sing about the greatness of our God.  And, as I watched her I thought about how when I was a little girl I wanted to be a country singer.  She sang I Told You So originally by Randy Travis and talked about how she wore out her sister’s cassette tape listening to it.  I remember wearing my mom’s same cassette tape out!  Another moment.

Obviously, I am not a country singer today, although, in my car I am.  However, I do believe that there is still a stage for me to take, today.  And, that my friends, make me so happy to say.  I’ve missed a stage for a long time now.  I’ve missed performing, acting, singing, dancing.  I’ve missed my character shoes and costumes and lights.  But, Sunday night, as the music washed over my soul I was confident that God had given me a stage as well.

Right now, it is mainly for the little people in my life.  I sing from it.  I dance on it.  I teach, guide and discipline.  I speak words that hopefully bring life and encouragement to those who listen. 

Shakespeare wrote in As You Like It,

All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts...


Shakespeare goes on to talk about the stages of life and how we eventually end up as infantile as we entered this world.

When I think about this quote, one I’ve held on to and savored, I am reminded that my love for a stage was wired in me by my creator.  And although at 7 and 17 I thought my stage would look one way and bring much glory to me, I am so thankful that God interfered.  My prayer is that every stage I find myself on, whether it be in a family room, a theater ,or a stadium would bring glory to Him.

So, thank you, Fly, for the night out.  It did more in heart than I can express.

Thank you, Hunter Hayes, for reminding me where I came from and where I am today.

Thank you, Carrie Underwood, for bringing glory to God and teaching me a most valuable lesson.

Thank you, dear Lord, for the stage I am on now and the part you have given me to play, today.

And as new exits and entrances come may I be humble and gracious with every part I am given....

...because the show must go on.



Me and the Fly guy.  He makes me feel wanted.


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis