Monday, September 12, 2011

Like a Good Neighbor

Cul-de-sacs are awesome.  My cul-de-sac is full of awesome.  This summer has shown me, even more, just how blessed I am to live where I live. 

First, let's just focus on the parabola of fun.  That's what I like to call our u-shaped street.  We have the privilege of living on a street, and in a neighborhood, as a matter of fact, with a zillion kiddos.   They are everywhere.  If you don't watch where you are walking you are likely to trip over one.  The Bug likes to refer to every kid in the neighborhood as "her friends."  When we hear kids playing outside she looks up at me with shining, smiling eyes and says, "Mommy!!! My friends!" even if she has never met them.  I have a feeling as she gets older they will all be "her friends."  She seems to be little bit of social butterfly.

The Bug and "HER FRIENDS" jumping off walls...don't judge, you jumped off walls as a kid too.

The best thing about our neighborhood though is not just the kiddos but the kiddos that live on our street have awesome parents that have become "my friends!"  It's true.  If I need to borrow an egg, or even drop my children off somewhere, I have at least four options right out my front door. 

This last weekend sealed the deal for me. 

We and two other families that live on our "Parabola of Fun"  decided to take a trip to Laughlin, NV.  Two of us have boats so we set out for a wet, and fun-filled adventure.



The Fly and The Little Man at Breakfast.  Holding the baby keeps you skinny...it's harder to eat.

This is how a two year old stays entertained in a restaurant.  Towers.

The whole lot of us.  Adults totally outnumbered.


The Fly and one of our neighbors also one of my great friends!  That's the Little Man and his buddy in their arms.
Zoie's best buddy and her daddy.
Where Little Man napped.  He was continuously misted and put to sleep by the lapping water...until the lapping water woke him up.

The Bug on vacation.  She said, "I relaxin'"

Fly and Little Man going for a swim.  Don't you love his hat?  The ring isn't too bad either.


 This weekend was full of water, boats, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, happy kids, crying kids and load of memories.  This weekend I remembered to stop and look at my kids and take in the moments. 

I will never forget the Little Man smiling as I held him sitting in the beach chair under the easy-up as he splashed his little feet in the baby size waves.

I will never forget The Bug having a few  "accidents" and when The Fly asked her why she was not using the potty she simply replied, "Because I'm on vacation."  (As aggravating as this was I still couldn't help but laugh at that!)

I will never forget stopping at in 'n out in Barstow on the way to Laughlin and taking over the back corner with our excited and loud children.

I will never forget The Fly and the look on his face as he was wake boarding on seriously smooth water...he could see his reflection and he was so happy:).

I especially won't forget the conversations and good company of wonderful people I get to call my neighbors.

As I was rocking my Little Man tonight, waiting to get him to calm down so I could finish typing, I realized that this weekend marked the 4 year anniversary of us moving into our home.  I smiled.  What a great way to celebrate.  I didn't know what blessings awaited me in this neighborhood, in this cul-de-sac. 

If you are my neighbor and by some chance you read this please know that I am thankful for you.  I am thankful that I can come and borrow an egg.  I am thankful that you care about my kids.  I am thankful that in this season of life we can all grow together and learn from each other. 

I look forward to many more trick-or-treat nights, many more Christmas lights, many more birthday parties, many more haphazard play dates, and many more summer nights in our front yards. 

A huge lesson I've learned in my almost 30 years is that community is important.  Life is far better when you do life WITH people...I'm so happy to do life with the people who live on my street.

Tonight I want to thank God for my home, but more importantly, for the people who live next door, across the street, across the other street, and a few doors down.  The things of this world will fade someday.  My house may not always be standing or we may find ourselves in another place in another season but I will always be thankful for those people I get to call my neighbors.

Good friends jump off walls together.








2 comments:

  1. Allison,
    That's exactly how we feel about our neighbors! Treasured memories and wonderful friends for life:)
    Great blog keep them coming.
    Love ya
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are thankful for you too! Olivia doesn't let me park in the garage if she sees Zoie playing because she is "her friend" too! Love the pics of the girls!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis